View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #30
Sithis

Default Re: Why Germany Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
What makes you think there aren't plenty of people and organizations who want to turn the situation in Germany (and the EU as a whole) into a fragile situation?
Sure, but it just seems more difficult to really hook PCs into working to keep a place from just being as bad as the rest of the world. SAIs don't have full rights yet, but it's sort of like running a game focusing on the situation of blacks in the U.K. during the period when they were still slaves in the U.S. Yeah, it's important, but it gives you the feeling that elsewhere in the world there are even bigger heroes.

Quote:
And high-stakes geopolitics and global memetic warfare should be interesting subjects for a campaign, shouldn't they?
I definitely like the idea of outside forces trying to do everything they can to keep SAIs from gaining full rights, both to make it easier for them to keep their own lesser treatment and to keep political alliances between the two groups strong.

Quote:
Personally, I see bioroids as something of an evolutionary dead end - sooner or later, they will likely be largely replaced by cyber- and bioshells with the right AIs.
This sort of reasoning sounds like a great opinion for some anti-bioroid politicians to put forward. European bioroids are living in a community where they're getting many more rights than most places, but they are obviously immigrants (with all the outsider stigma attached) and basically everyone around them thinks they never should have existed in the first place. Furthermore, if the mainstream culture can just reduce the inflow of "immigrants" and maintain the political culture that makes creating new bioroids illegal, the "bioroid problem" will be solved within a generation.

Now, no one except for a few extremists is going to say "we need to get rid of the bioroids", it's all going to be about immigration and the obscenity of creating indentured life, but it's not hard to imagine such an undercurrent below the surface.

Quote:
I'm not sure that's the best approach to take. In fact, my main aim is to show how campaigns can work if they don't involve lots of violence, since that's the kind of campaign many gamers seem to have the most difficulty with.
Most law enforcement work doesn't have anything to do with violence, but the larger point is that you're focusing on one of the most stable and progressive places of Transhuman space, so conflicts are going to tend to be about forces working against the status quo.
Sithis is offline   Reply With Quote