View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #65
Stormcrow

Default Re: Fantasy Setting for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Which brings us back to square one: GURPS has limited options for fantasy worlds, many of which are quite different than modern genre fantasy.
If you are arguing that GURPS fails because it doesn't have a D&D-style setting, I'm going to disagree with you strongly. There are lots of settings. There is even Dungeon Fantasy, which doesn't require a setting (though it can take one if you want to build or borrow it).

Is the argument that GURPS needs its own Forgotten Realms, with a stream of supplements and adventures set there? Yuck. I wouldn't buy them.

I too find the claim that GURPS lacks quick-to-use settings incomprehensible. I for one appreciate not getting thick books for settings all the time. The time-strapped GM can read a short PDF or section of a book, then make stuff up. Read "Ghost-breakers" from All Star Jam 2004, make a few ghosts and a map of a haunted house or two, then go for it! Read Tales of the Solar Patrol, write up a couple of villians, and start blasting bad guys! What's the problem? You don't have to write a full-length adventure to run a game. Just make it up as you go.

And when you do find an odd moment or two, takes some notes of ideas.

My most successful games are the ones I don't overprepare for.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote