View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #25
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Fantasy Setting for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I'm not really sure what people mean when they complain "GURPS doesn't have a fantasy setting other than Yrth."
They probably mean "GURPS doesn't have a fantasy setting other than Yrth presented in enough detail for me to pick up and just start playing." Sure, there's a stack of one-offs from Madlands to Myth to any number of Pyramid articles. But, ignoring for a moment that most of those are for earlier editions if they're available at all (I've had a GURPS setting published myself, but I'm not going to try to point someone to "Wellsprings of Creation" now that web-Pyramid is no longer available), material for them is pretty sparse. Yrth, at least, has been fleshed out with a number of adventures and writeups of particular locations (Harkwood, Tredroy, Abydos, Fantasy Adventures; Tower of Octavius sorta counts, I suppose), which, for those GMs who need such things, make it much easier to go from the big sketch presented in a core book to actually playing a series of adventures. So we might, at this point, contemplate how much material is "enough" to count. For people who are complaining about lack of settings/adventures/whatever, how high is that barrier to start playing?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote