View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #88
industrialchild

Default Re: Roleplaying experiences without a GM in Car Wars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I'm not familiar with this -- can you explain in a bit more detail?
Sure! An example of a simple Oracle system would be, for example, rolling any die. An even number=YES. An odd number=NO.

Just with this simple mechanic, you could (in theory), prep a table of safe/logical and desperate/dangerous behaviors for NPCs. Of course different tables, for different NCPs/moments in the game. Let's imagine that you are looking at a table numbered from 1-6 with six different behaviors outlined. The first behavior could be a standard/basic/safe tactic they could use without much risk on their part and the further this list goes down, the more random and dangerous their behavior is. Heck the 6th behavior could be even be something crazy, like moving toward you as if they were trying to ram you (whichever part of your vechile they are closest to) with guns blazing (if they haven't fired all their weapons already)!

So you would simply go down the list starting at one and roll for each NPC. Does this guy do option 1...NO. Ok, does he do 2...YES.

In the event that you get a NO for all six, you would then roll a random behavior for him off of that same list.

I hope this makes sense. :) I've seen this sort of tactic used before in a few indie solo RPGs. I'm not sure of where it originally stems from (although I am very curious about it), but it's a relatively obscure mechanic in RPGs. I think it's an interesting concept that could potentially be applied to this game to affect unpredictable NPC behavior without a referee. Sounds good on paper anyway, I won't know until I play around with it. :)

Last edited by industrialchild; 02-13-2019 at 04:08 PM.
industrialchild is offline   Reply With Quote