View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #31
Inquisitive Raven

Default Re: A-way down South in Dixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furabo View Post

* Family traditions often include passing down names that, on the face of them, are ridiculous. However, we bear them proudly. A few names to get you started: "Daisy Dee, 'Aunt Sis', Alma, Beck (as a first name)..."
I've read that one naming custom involves one kid (probably a second son) being given the mother's maiden name as a first name. Not actually being from the region, I can't swear to this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furabo View Post

* Some sayings/quips:
"God-willing and the river don't rise...!"
I always heard this one as "God willing and the creek (pronounced 'crick') don't rise," but that may be an Ozark variation. I grew up in Missouri which is sort of a transitional state, specifically in St. Louis which is decidedly not a Southern feeling town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Metaphors are more common in speech. ("running around like a chicken with its head cut off"; "so stubborn they'd argue with a fence post")
[grammar nitpick]The phrase "like a chicken with its head cut off" is a simile. You can tell because the comparison is made explicit; with a metaphor, it's implied. Also, I'd call "so stubborn they'd argue with a fence post" an exaggeration rather than a metaphor. Figurative speech, perhaps would be a better term. [/grammar nitpick]
Inquisitive Raven is offline   Reply With Quote