View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Ed the Coastie

Default Re: Help with night guard

I've done my share of night-owl work.

Security was the easiest...I made the internal rounds once an hour or so, at random intervals, checking to make sure that both the exterior doors and the interior doors to critical areas were still locked. Then I spent the rest of my time at the security desk working on my gaming stuff (which, to an outside viewer, made it look like I was busy with paperwork) and occasionally glancing at the monitor.

School custodian was more involved...it would take me anywhere from 4-6 hours to do the job, but the rest of night was pretty laid back. I would frequently do my laundry while I was working, and either read or work of gaming stuff when my work was done.

Night houseman at a resort hotel was similar...4-6 hours of work (most of it cleaning the dining room of the attached restaurant) and then the rest of the time sitting in the office reading and waiting in case I needed to respond to a guest request.