View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
VariousRen

Default Re: [Mass Combat] Equipment vs Training cost ratios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes. If you're hiring already trained soldiers, the recruiting bonus will likely be considerably higher, and if you're training the soldiers, you have to pay training costs (I have doubts about the ability to train soldiers in one month).

If you look at the Quality tables (mass combat p11-12), you can get a unit of Inferior troops for -50% to the raise cost. This tells us that no more than 50% of the total cost can be for gear. You can also get a unit of troops with Poor equipment for -25% to the raise and maintain cost, so no less than 25% of the total cost can be for gear. Splitting the difference, at $4,000 per unit of heavy infantry, $1,500 is for gear, $2,500 is the cost to raise, and maintenance includes $500 in wages and $300 in other types of supplies.
Hmm, ya the cost breaks for inferior troops must indicate that that 50% of the raise cost is in attracting and paying people with previous useful experience (Which makes sense, you can't turn peasants into heavy infantry in 4 weeks of training). $1500 in gear makes sense too, I was finding it hard to spend $3000 on stuff without making it all Fine or Balanced (which now makes sense as the next equipment level). Cheap equipment seemed completely unneeded at the basic level, despite the book saying explicitly cheap equipment was common.

Finally, this explains why specific terrain training (Like jungle) only raises the Raise cost and not the maintenance. It costs a few extra hundred per troop to hire people with experience in jungles, but you aren't necessarily giving them special jungle equipment that would have to be maintained.