View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #82
Rockwolf66

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
TBH that to me is the difference between MA's that include weapons training and thus techniques to fight with and defend against knives, and treat knives as continuation of the MA. And those that default to unarmed and only train to defend against knives. (and basically treat knives as an out of context problem).
Plus you have to look at how a knife is used in that society. With the Japanese they use a knife primarily as a thrusting/stabbing weapon. If you watch videos on Tantojitsu you will see lots of stabbing and very little slashing.

I posted the first in a series of Jujitsu drills as it seemed closest to some of the possible scenarios that people were talking about. Now do the techniques work. Yes they do and they have kept a knife out of my guts. Do I ever want to have to use them again outside of a dojo. Not in 1,000,000 years. If I ever have to deal with someone looking to stick a knife in me I would much rather deal with them using a .300 Winmag sniper rifle at 1,000m.

Still as Tomsdad has pointed out most martial arts view weapon training as secondary to empty hand training.
Rockwolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote