View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #60
Johnny Angel

Default Re: Pyramid #3/104: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

I thought it might be interesting to see how the background generator played out.

I didn't bother with some of the finer details because I'm not currently in a campaign, but I did try to come up with a brief story inspired by each step of the process.

Dorgrim Stonehand - Dwarven Martial Artist (I rolled randomly for race and profession by counting how many of each were in DF 1 and DF 3)

Dorgrim was born in a remote monastery (step 1) in the desert (step 2). His father is also an adventurer, a Dwarven Swashbuckler. His father is still alive and they have a close relationship. (steps 3 &5). His mother is currently a vampire, and hates Dorgrim (steps 3 & 5).

While his father was out adventuring, Dorgrim was raised and mentored by Qui Chang Picasso, the humble master of the monastery who has world-class skill at painting. Qui Chang Picasso is still alive and views Dorgrim a family member. (steps 4 & 5)

An only child, Dorgrim was born during a battle (step 6 & 7). In fact, the same battle is what lead to Dorgrim's mother becoming a vampire. The monastery was beset by a horde of undead lead by a vampire lord. The vampire came across the chamber in which Dorgrim's mother was giving birth and sought to feed before Dorgrim's swashbuckler father intervened and killed the vampire lord. Returning to the fight against the horde outside, Dorgrim's father later came back to find only a child; his wife missing. He would later learn that she had started to turn and fled. Qui Chang Picasso, while meditating on the events of that night would prophesize (step 8) that the Dogrim would be the source of a great victory, but would have nothing for himself in the end.

During Dorgrim's early years, an unusual event occurred (step 9). Qui Chang Picasso was teaching him the wrist movements needed to achieve smooth brush strokes (and which would lay the foundation for the later teaching of martial arts). As Dorgrim practiced and painted, a rug under his feet would vibrate and come to life; young Dorgrim was lifted a few inches into the air before being unceremoniously dumped onto the floor when the rug crashed back down as his mentor came back into the room. Master Picasso would comment that the rug had once been part of a flying carpet, but it was believed the magic had long since stopped working. As it responded to Dorgrim's presence, it was given to him as a gift. In it's current weakened state, the rug can float about 6 inches off the ground for a total of about an hour per day before the magic fizzles and needs to recharge. It is theorized that finding the rest of the material which was part of the original carpet and sewing it all back together would restore the rug to being a properly-working flying carpet.

In addition to the rug, Qui Chang Picasso sent for his niece, a woman trained as an armored fighter (knight) and tasked her with accompanying Dorgrim on his adventures (step 10), the first of which was to help Dolgrim track down and recover Dolgrim's fiance (step 11), the daughter of a wealthy merchant who had been kidnapped by an evil wizard (controller).

(blank result from step 12)

(Step 13) In his years prior to adventuring, Dolgrim's time at the monastery lead to being educated in the ways of the monks, both physically and spiritually. After having been officially ordained as an acolyte of the monastery's religious teachings, he was given the job of being the spiritual liaison to the nearest village. In fact, it is during this service that he met his fiancee.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote