View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
A Ladder

Default Re: Ritual Magic/Fanasty Quandary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
I am maybe thinking about using Ritual Magic from Gurps Magic and Thaumaturgy. It outlines a system where its based on a Core skill, such as Thaumaturgy, and then each spell is a technique at the negative of its Prerequisite number. For my world this seems to fit. I want my spell casters to be more scholarly and if you find a spell it can be defaulted instead of learned as an individual skill. I want to have magic based on a over all concept and then each spell is aspects of that concept, not individual solo concepts.

My questions are:

Has anyone tried this for wizardry? And what tweaks did you make to maybe fix any issues with it I am not seeing yet?

Also, it seems like spells will be very low in skill now. How do you get passed the resistance to charms and curses? It seems like now the person may have a skill of only 11-15 for most spells, especially those that are heavy in prerequisite numbers like charm. It seems like it now makes spells easy to resist. Any help or advice would be great.
When my current game wraps up and we start our new campaign I'll be using Ritual Magic. Here are the few tweaks that I'll be implementing.
1. No College Path defaults to Thaumatology. This stops players from just increasing thaumatology to increase all spells.
2. Spells are Average Techniques instead of Hard Techniques.
3. Spell defaults are based off of the number of prereqs and follow the bellow chart.
Prereq count, Ritual Magic Penalty
0, -0
1, -1
2, -2
3-4, -3
5-8, -4
9-12, -5
13-18, -6
19-24, -7
25-32, -8
33-40, -9
41+, -10

All these rules are pulled from advice from PK. I'll go see if I can find the post and put it here.
Edit: Found them: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...05&postcount=6 and http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=16

To get past resistance make sure the players buy their favorite curses or debuffs as techniques, so they can ignore the skill penalties. (See B242).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness

Last edited by A Ladder; 09-19-2017 at 09:43 AM.
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote