View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #45
tbeard1999

Default Re: TFT and GURPS - where is the line between them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
As I've mentioned before, if you use "comparative" DEX rolls this largely solves the problem without needing additional rules and options/talents. The rules at the moment use "absolute" DEX rolls, which are unfair, and also unrealistic although they have the benefit of simplicity.

As the rules stand, your adjDEX 10 warrior has a 50% chance to hit the DEX 7 opponent and the same chance to hit the DEX 14 opponent. That makes no sense at all. It's logical that he should have a greater chance to hit the DEX 7 or less skilled opponent and a lesser chance to hit the DEX 14 or more skilled one.
I don't necessarily disagree. However, this would represent a profound change to the TFT combat system. And the 3d6 mechanic is a poor choice for comparative rolls IMHO. If I thought a comparative mechanic was the way to go, I'd use the d20 Pendragon mechanic. (Roll d20. The figure that rolls the highest while still rolling the target number or less wins).

Of course, both of these changes qualify for the "it just ain't TFT" critique I fear.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote