View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #48
Tomsdad

Default Re: Buried alive - Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
You're right- that was my implicit assumption. There's somewhere you can escape to and set up a stronger fortification..
Yep sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
ST26, eh? That's news. The advantage of the moving shell is that it's constantly forming, so they won't be able to start penetrating it. Further, if they only have animal intelligence, they're more likely to ignore some moving earthworks, no matter how weirdly it moves.
Thing is it won't be constantly forming you'll be relying on the same shell for the duration you hold it for. i.e you take 4cy of stone shape it into the shell and then move that 4cy of stone about at Mv1.

I added in some stuff on the fragility of the shell but in short a 6" thick wall a hex wide (10 sqft) is DR78 and I think about 80hp? DR78 sounds great but the problem is that DR is Semi-ablative or Ablative depending on the attack type, and 10 minutes worth of 2d+1 impaling + follow-up 1d-3 corrosion (10 one-second cycles) is a long time!

(that also leaves aside the question of can they physically prevent the shell from moving forward).

If you do decide to create a new shell quicker rather than maintaining the old ones for as long as you can, than you might have issues with keeping on paying the 7fp cost at the rate you need to form the shells.

And really that's my issue with this one, the failure state is a bit unforgiving. One slip up, one second of not being surrounded by stone and your surrounded by spiders.

On the IQ thing yeah you could be right, and I made the same point myself earlier. Still territorial animals tend to pay attention to movement (especially if it starts at the point their prey was last sighted,).

One question would be if they they only have heat vision that might not be aware of the thing at all, but that said I think it's going to be hard to miss 9 tons of stone moving about!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-07-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote