View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #43
Tomsdad

Default Re: Buried alive - Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
What if it's just a shell of stone (the bunker mentioned above)? The volume of stone will be less, and they can creep along at Move 1 for the whole 60 seconds of the spell's duration. 500 yards will take no more than 10 minutes.

A rectangular shell 4 yds long, 1yd wide and 2 yds tall will have a surface area of 24 sq yds. Hence, 6 inch thick walls will be 4 cubic yards- 8 FP to cast.

The problem I have with that solution is unless the spiders are truly dumb, they just keep pace with it and your only really moving the problem along a bit.

However to really be sure of that we kind of need to know what's outside the cavern. If there's a nice narrow entrance that you can move that shell to and then escape into, that might work.

However my even bigger problem is I can't help but think hundreds of ST 26 SM2 monsters are going to find a way to mess up that shell or block* it as it moves along at Mv1 for 10 minutes

*I'm not sure how forceful the movement of the stone is?

I don't know if there's a basic stone weight in GURPS but a quick look online get's me a figure for Granite of 1.56oz per Cubic inch, so 4cy is 186,624 x 1.56oz = 9.1 tons. A ST26 spider has a BL of 135lbs they can "shove and knock over" 1,622lbs (0.8 of ton) or "Shift Slightly" 6,760lbs (3.4 tons). I didn't get into if multiple legs and being horizontal helps them here, but it might well do

If they go with directly damaging it, a 6" thick wall a hex wide (10 sqft) is DR78 and I think about 80hp? DR78 sounds great but the problem is that DR is Semi-ablative or Ablative depending on the attack type, and 10 minutes worth of 2d+1 impaling + follow-up 1d-3 corrosion (10 one-second cycles) is a long time!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-07-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: works our 6cy of granite weight by mistake
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote