View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #34
kreios

Default Re: [Blog] n-Body Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You should probably include one level below economy class, that uses bunkrooms instead of shared cabins. I'd keep the establishment and attendant rates the same as for economy class. You can about halve the price for such a class yet again.
Definitely. That's why I wrote up a bunkroom-based class... except I apparently never added it to the blog. In fact, my first reaction to your post was "But didn't I add this?". I have gone back and edited it in.

Quote:
I'm under no illusions as to how unpleasant this is. You have no privacy at all from your three bunkmates, and precious little from all the other bunk-rooms nearby, as you will have thin walls and shared joint bathrooms. the Opportunity to cook will be minimal. There will be very little space to walk around or exercise: you'll essentially be confined to your bunk.
Yep. Slum-Class passengers have it really hard. I've included a quote from Babylon's Ashes on accommodations like that. Not sure I believe the whole prison-like features (thugs, beatings, blackmail), but it fits well with their storyline.

Quote:
And yet people have tolerated such conditions for time immemorial. Much of the US population had their ancestors cross in similar circumstances. This pattern has been used for barracks, and the conditions may be similar or even superior to a ship full of refuges fleeing their country.
I'll come to colonization later on (probably quite a bit later, since I'm going to stay in space for a while longer - FTL travel revisited up next, followed by space combat).
kreios is offline   Reply With Quote