View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #34
Ultraviolet

Default Re: [MA] Italian fencing description and the riposte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I don't roll for hit locations except in those instances where it specifically calls for it (shrapnel, falling damage, truly random things). But when, it is: roll for attack; roll for hit location; roll defense.
In my Cliffhangers campaign we often rely on random hit locations, for when attacker is not targeting a specific location. But I don't think we roll before defence, because the kinds of fight we have it rarely matters. Fights are mostly fisticuffs, where ordinary arm parries are fine - or simple melee weapons vs. other melee weapons.
But I do see a point for more finicky fights, that locations matter.

But I'm not sure I like the idea of the defender knowing in advance where he will be hit, before he decides if he'll bother with a defense. I mean, a fighter with a really good corselet and bare arms only parries if he'll take a hit to the arms.
On the other hand I suppose a skilled fighter can see where the blow lands. Plus when deciding whether to defend or not it's not like you're abandoning our next attack - that's only if deciding between AoD or normal. But in a fight against multiple enemies you risk 'using up' a parry on atrivial attack.

PS: In the old 'Millenium's End' technothriller rpg you rolled defence once attack was declared but *before* it was actually rolled. Because if defense is succesful don't bother with the rest. However that game did not (IIRC) have the All out options, or limited number of defenses per turn. However I guess there had to be a fumble chance.