View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #28
PseudoFenton

Default Re: [DF] One shot- Crevan Brokenhands Last Rest

I felt the need to make a few tweaks to the end boss fight to make it a little more racy and dangerous - but also to potentially cover the PCs choosing to just flee upfront (due to the proximity of the cramped fight before section 8 and the ability for PCs to just rush ahead into the open room beyond it without finishing that fight). I mostly felt the need to make him more of an annoyance against a group of foes, despite only being one guy, as so to prevent everyone just mobbing him without much care.

I also removed a few of the bits of DF 6 loot which were seeded into previous parts of the dungeon, so wanted to add more to the big boss fight and reward a few unique items to make it stand out against other loot my group has encountered before (I've played lots of DF). I therefore chose to change his equipment to include more loot, but also to help explain how Crevan was so hard to kill, giving him overall much better protection and defences. As such this is my version of Crevan (next post) [And yes, I changed his name in my run of the dungeon, just overlook it].

He's a lot more of a handful than the last one listed here, the extra attack and better equipment make him a lot more dangerous to a group. Overall his lack of weapon skill should allow PCs to not focus overly on defensive play, as he's not really able to make great deceptive attacks to overcome their defences. Although the ghostly bindings will keep them from being too mobile, and his amour divisor and high damage will force them to retreat often if they rely on dodges.

The PCs will have to work out how to get past his awesome Block and Parry, and then his heavy armour... and huge pool of HP - all the while being disarmed and pushed back into poor fighting positions.

The fight should be a bit of a ranging grind, the PCs attempting to retreat away from attacks or fall back to maintain range or recover disarmed weapons, whilst Crevan constantly closes the distance with Shield Rushes and high Move. Hopefully this will make it more engaging and tactical in PC placement and optimising when and where to attack to best put an end to his tenacious fighting.

I'll be running it this next weekend in all likelihood, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by PseudoFenton; 07-11-2012 at 06:18 AM.
PseudoFenton is offline   Reply With Quote