View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: [DF] One shot- Crevan Brokenhands Last Rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
This may be straying off topic, but this reminds me of the difference in dungeon design between Daggerfall and the later Elder Scrolls games, particularly Skyrim. Daggerfall had these massive, randomly-generated labyrinths that were kinda fun at first, but eventually just a pain to navigate. In Skyrim, the majority of dungeons are a straight line through to the end room, often with a shortcut from there directly back to the exit. Sometimes I like wandering through a sprawling complex, but for tabletop gaming the simpler design is probably best.
Well, keep in mind that in video games, most dungeons are quest-related (somehow) and finishing the main plot is important. So it's frustrating to have to explore big sprawling dungeons for hours to find something you need in order to finish the quest. I'd scream if I needed to dig around in every nook and cranny of some giant dungeon until I found the Whatzit of Whozit that King Questmore needs to get before you can continue the game.

In tabletop gaming, a non-plot based game (your typical sandbox, say), you don't need to have a linear adventure. The big sprawling dungeon can be the whole point, and you've got a lot more resources as the GM and as the player to find out where the Whatzit is, if it becomes important. The fun keeps going even if you don't find the plot item, because the plot item isn't play-critical, really.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote