View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 05:10 AM   #18
Icelander

Default Re: [RPM] Gem Lore, Lapidaries and Precious Stones as Traditional Trappings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Would diamonds from the Canadian diamond mines be especially attractive to the cold entities? Two of them look like they are north of the Arctic Circle.

The Jericho Diamond Mine was the third diamond mine in Canada and the first in Nunavut territory. It is located about 250 miles northeast of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. The mine was opened by Tahera Diamond Corporation and produced diamonds from 2006 to 2008 but the company lost money. In 2010, Shear Minerals, Ltd. acquired the property with the intent of bringing the mine back into production.

https://geology.com/articles/canada-diamond-mines/
Well, I don't know how large the Vile Vortices over each Pole are, but I'm going to go out on a limb and state that by the basic laws of magic, diamonds mined in freezing areas like the north of Russia or Canada have an extra chance of being mystically significant to the Keepers of the Last Flicker.*

And, oh, any suggestions for famous or valuable diamonds that are owned by someone on the West Coast or stored there would be great. The PCs discover that there have been a lot of diamond thefts in the US in the last couple of months, some reoported in the media, most not appearing in open source publications, for one reason or another. I'll need to drop names of famous stones and/or famous people who've been victims.

*My as-yet-not-used-in-play term for the villainous cult associated with the Lords of the Last Waste. Until actually discovered by the PCs in play, I can change it, so if it sounds cheesy or someone has a better idea, chime in.

The image I want to convey are men clustered around a small campfire, burning low, surrounded by endless darkness. I considered using 'embers' and 'hearth' as part of the title, but haven't found anything that pops.

The most evocative thing the concept made me think of iunfortunately doesn't seem suitable for the title of their organisation, it's a phrase from a poem by Dylan Thomad and the title of a G.R.R. Martin story, 'The Dying of the Light'.

The villains' title should be interpretable to infer that their organisation is maintaining the last campfire, not seeking to douse it.

They can use the phrase as a recognition signal, though, and one of the antagonists is carrying a credit card with a name that appears in Martin's story.