View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Max Damage on Bows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
had an archer recently made with a 15 ST and Strongbow Perk for a 17 St on his bow. He wants to get a bow suited to his strength (like Ulysses bow was suited to him)

Question 1: Where can I find a graduated cost table for bows of various strengths?

Next thing he wants to do is purchase his skill at DX+2 and then get Weapon Master, giving him a +2. Of course he wants to purchase Very fine arrows for a +2 as well and load them into a Reflex Bow (thr+3).

In total he is looking at the following:

ST 17 thrust : 1d+2
Reflex bow: th+3
Weapon master +2
Ver Fine Arrows: +2

Totalling 1d+9 imp with and average damage of 12.5

A 27" Scorpion (LT 82) does 3d imp with an average of 10.5 damage. The scorpion has a much less impressive rate of fire.

Am I missing something here? Can bows be built this strong?
I don't believe you can go over Fine on arrows. Otherwise, yeah you've got it right.

In Basic rules, getting a bow that matches your ST exactly is normal and has no special cost. For this and much other low tech manufacture, labor costs are domeinant and whatever increase in amterials you need is ignored. It would be very small.

For ultimate reaism, make him use heavier arrows. They still won't cost that much but they will weigh more. Modern hunting arrows should weigh betwee 10 and 15 grains per pound of pull. There are 7000 grains per pound.

I use a simpel 2x BL for the effective ST (i.e. 1x BL for each arm) but I know Doug Cole wants a higher number (2.5?) for some reason.

My numbers make this a 115-lb pull bow which is very high but not impossible. Arrows should be between 1150 to 1750 grains each. If you split the difference at 1400 you get 5 to the pound which sounds like a nice even number.