View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #10
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Path/Book Magic] Monsters as Magicians... or vice versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I guess I should have said standard duration effect parameters (Thaumotology, p. 243). Succor is an odd case, but I guess that is because it is meant to augment healing, which stops when someone recovers from injury. In the case of Reverse Decay, I would have the process reverse one day of decay for every day of duration, though the ritual would require a minimum of 50% of the intact corpse to serve as a template and a bath of biological fluid, treated with Halt Decay, with a mass twice that of the final mass of the corpse to provide the required materials.
Interesting. Hadn't really thought about the specifics of the ritual, beyond 'involves electricity.' (EDIT: Wilhelm would be a big believer in shock therapy if he'd ever heard of it, but would be highly suspicious of lobotomies, as he believes that brains that have bits missing won't work as well.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Has anyone read the Monster Hunters International series by Larry Correia?
No, but now I'm curious about it.

Apropos of nothing much, I'm now wondering what sort of band 'Technonecromancer' would be. Is a fusion of Techno and Death Metal even plausible? Might they be the disguise of a group of wandering monster hunters (the PCs)?

More relevant to the thread:

The colonists inhabiting the Pine Barrens of southern New Jersey gave birth to the legend of the Jersey Devil - in one case literally, if you believe the folklore: A woman called Mother Leeds had twelve children, and it seems was heartily sick of them (or perhaps simply of childbirth, in an era when the birthing bed was compared to a battlefield). In a moment of frustration, she declared that the next one would be a devil! Lo and behold, one dark and stormy night (yes, really) in 1735, she gave birth to a creature said to resemble an upright goat with batwings and clawed hands (descriptions vary, as you might expect from folklore). Until the twentieth century, this was called the Leeds Devil. Was the creature a devil that possessed Mother Leeds's thirteenth child? Was Mother Leeds a witch, as some accounts claim, who Embodied the spirit in her child? Was this a stillbirth blown ridiculously out of proportion, or a complete fabrication, made up by the many anti-monarchists in the area to malign the emphatically pro-monarchist Leeds family?

I have a game-plot for this one: I suggest that there was no singular Jersey Devil, or if there was, it is long gone. It is reasonably well-known to the magical community in the area (though of course not to the public) that most 'reliable' sightings of the creature have been pranks by young ritual magicians, with varying degrees of maliciousness. Embodied or disembodied spirits, illusions and carefully-crafted dreams, and the occasional elemental effect all conspired to make the Jersey Devil seem real.

Recently, though, several deaths in and around the Pine Barrens appear to be done by the Jersey Devil. Is the latest magician a serial killer, or did they make the mistake of Embodying a demon? Is it the 'original' Leeds Devil finally returned, or released from some mystical prison? Can it be just a clever mundane serial killer with a talent for special effects? How many more will die before the heroes track this monster down?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 12-24-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote