View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 05:01 AM   #7
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Path/Book Magic] Monsters as Magicians... or vice versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Frankenstein's monster could be considered an example of Embody that gave the spirit Amnesia.
I hadn't considered that, but it's absolutely consistent with his behavior in the novel. Thank you.

Quote:
Ritual Magic (Technology), of which the Book of Animation (a better generic name), would be a form of Ritual Mage that would take advantage of technology trappings and storms as additional elements. As an element, technological trappings would that add (TL/2, rounded down) bonus to skill when present while rituals performed without technological trappings would suffer -5 to skill. As an element, storms would give a bonus to skill equal to their wind speed in yards/10, rounded down, with a minimum bonus of '0', while rituals performed without a storm would suffer -5 to skill
I'd still call it 'technurgy' (which means 'skill-working,' while 'technology' means roughly 'study of skill'), but I generally agree with you on the bonuses.

Quote:
The Book of Animation would have Embody, Predict Weather, Summon, Tirelessness, Vitality, and Weatherworking, plus Halt Decay and Reverse Decay (though I would change them to use standard time parameters). Embody and Summon would gain the spirit required for animation, Halt Decay and Reverse Decay would create the vessel for animation, Predict Weather and Weatherworking would allow the practitioner to know (or create) the ideal environment for animation, and Tirelessness and Vitality would keep the practitioner going. While it would be a highly specialized Book, the ability of its practitioners to seemingly reanimated the dead would make them sought after by the desperate, as well as by authorities for violating corpses.
That is a better generic version, at least for a technonecromancer (that term really sounds like a band name) that knows he's doing magic. The list of rituals is good for that, as well. Not sure what you mean by 'standard time parameters,' though. I was basing them off of Succor, just modifying the phrasing to fit better.

My thought process when coming up with the Book of Frankenstein was pretty much 'OK, what could Wilhelm Klaus learn from Victor's notes, and what might he come up with through his own experiments?' I thought about adding Tirelessness and/or Vitality, but decided that he didn't have those yet, and I left off Summon, Predict Weather, and Weatherworking because they wouldn't fit into the mindset he's in, where he's not doing magic, he's working with the relationship between biology and electricity. At best, he might be able to come up with something like Predict Weather by 'detecting the level of electricity in the air' or something like that.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote