View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #32
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Magical Matriarchies [Fantasy]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
What would you do with such a setting? What would you add to the settings?
I'd set up a ceremony every young girl goes through at a given age that detects if she has the talent or not. Depending on what I was doing with the religion of the setting, this may be part of a religious ceremony, or it may be notable for its non-religious character. A female dominated priesthood with a monopoly on magic could be fun to play with. It would also be interesting to set up the arcane in opposition to the divine, with the church providing the only other major body of scholarship.

I'd place a "wise woman" in the hierarchy of every powerful house. She might be a representative from the magistry, an employee, or even hold a token position and use the magic unofficially. I probably wouldn't have her running the place, but exceptions to that could exist.

I'd set up a training system. This could be apprenticeships, or it could be done in grand schools. Either way, Mages would see themselves as a distinct body, and cultivate their own subculture.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote