View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Captain Joy

Default Re: Telecommunications limitation: when and why?

Okay, I think I've discovered my disconnect: Telesend is Telecommunication (B91); it's the Telecommunication option appropriate for a psi-based ability. And Telesend is involved in every ability in which you "transmit your thoughts directly to others".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The telecommunication limitation is a way to limit Mind Reading so that its more like talking, it does not apply to Telsend.
Mind Reading is like hearing and Telesend is like speaking. You need both to have a conversation with most people. That is really what the Telespeak ability is. Actually a better explanation is Telsend is sending thoughts and Mind Reading is listening to thoughts.
Telesend without Mind Reading would only allow a full conversation with someone who also had Telesend. So two telepaths can talk much more cheaply than a telepath and a non telepath, just as you yourself noted.
Got it; and I agree. Except I think the Telecommunication limitation was added in the case of the Telespeak power (Psionic Powers, p. 59) because the Telespeak power includes the Telesend advantage in its build, so you might as well take advantage of the -20% limitation. I think part of my confusion was not realizing that when you see "Telesend" as part of a psionic power's build, it is the Telesend advantage from B91, not the Telesend power from Psionic Power, p. 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumboost View Post
You would, in fact, need to have that or some other Telecommunication Advantage [to claim a -20% Telecommunication limitation]. It's the equivalent of, say, Hearing-Based, Reversed, except that it applies to "things I'm in telepathic contact with" rather than "things I can hear". If you don't have the sense in question, you can't get a discount based on needing to use that sense without also turning off that power entirely.
Although, with the Telesend version Telecommunication it would be more accurate to say "things I can send thoughts to", as Telesend gives you no ability to receive thoughts (or detect locations).

Quote:
The Mind Reading part of Telespeak gets that Limitation because (a) Mind Reading can take that Limitation and (b) Telespeak includes Telecommunications (Telesend). It's entirely reasonable to take that Limitation in that instance. That's what's special about it, it has both the parts you need for that Limitation to be meaningful ….
Brilliant, Quantumboost. Now I get it.

Quote:
Telereceive doesn't have that Limitation because Telereceive doesn't include any Telecomm ability, and the authors can't assume that you have Telesend as well, because they're different Abilities and you can buy Telereceive without having to buy Telesend. If you did have Telesend, you could legitimately add that to Telereceive (reducing the cost by 10 points). It would mean that you'd need to use Telesend on them first, but hey, that's what you're getting the points for.
That makes perfect sense now. (10 points because Telereceive is built with Mind Probe at 20 points + Mind Reading at 30 points, so a -20% Telecommunication limitation saves you 10 points.) Thank you, Quantumboost!

Quote:
Telesend doesn't have that Limitation because it's a Mind Reading Limitation, not a Limitation on the Telecommunication Advantage, and "I have the power to beam thoughts into someone's head as long as I've previously started using my power to beam thoughts into their head" is kind of... weird. In a "total waste of points" kind of way.
I would phrase this is "Telesend doesn't have a -20% Telecommunication imitation because it is built off the Telesend version of the Telecommunication advantage. I.e. The Telesend power (Psionic Powers, p. 60) is nothing more than the psi-appropriate version the Telecommunication advantage with "Telepathy, -10%" and range modifiers. And, obviously, you can't use Telecommunications as a limitation on Telecommunication.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote