View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #43
oma

Default Re: GURPS Community Campaign & Adventure Repository

Apocalypta-

This campaign has 100pt characters, whatever the Players want. Robot with a laser on your shoulder, fine. You want a wererat thief, fine. You want a universe hopping World of Warcraft Warlock, fine. As long as it fit in 100pts and they were able to stand my meddling to work them into the fabric of the universe. The players receive about 3-5 CP per session to move them upto hero status quickly. They just started with 100 to avoid the totally unbalanced 1 power wonders that might happen.

The campaign starts out with visions and dreams to prompt action by the players. Some of the players don't know their history, having amnesia of anything beyond a couple of years ago. This allows me to develop their back history without messing up their WOW warlock idea. Plus, my players were all new to GURPS and so was I, having never played it, so I have been adding rules quite slowly. It was 3-4 sessions before anyone even realized you could do a deceptive attack.

It started on Athas (D&D campaign world) with a hunt for an artifact. This was a fairly linear adventure. You do this, then get a mission, then this etc. A shadowy being was contacting them a couple of times to provide foreshadowing of future events. Save the rod of time from some hidden location and stop the evil sorcerer kings. They travel from location to location picking up clues and learning the rules. They picked up some papers that were meaningless off an old druid they were supposed to save, ended up they killed him and so lost all his useful intel. They interacted with the Veiled alliance of wizards on this world who were fighting against the sorcerer kings as well.

At the end of about 6-7 sessions, they finished that adventure arc which landed them saving the rod of time and jumping through a player created wormhole to and I quote "some random plane". Needless to say, that player didn't come back to the game. :)

Then they went (those who survived the wormhole), to KoK(Kingdom of Kalamar) for adventure in the Vovhen Jungle. Each piece of their adventure seems disconnected from the last, and yet there are familiar dreams that tie bits together. They travelled the garden of ancient halfling travelers from Athas who populated this jungle hundreds of years ago. These are non magic, non psionic, bio tech beings that manipulate DNA. They were in a war with another race which has yet to show its face in the game. These halflings create a poison to use on the other, EVIL race and the players move on with it. We have lost several PCs with only two originals still going and all the rest new to the party.

The campaign is mostly high fantasy with standard GURPS magic, divided into divine and arcane colleges. The campaign is set up so that if the Players want to do high tech, it can travel in that direction, if they want to stick with just fantasy, it can go there as well. The flexibility of it all makes it easy for me to respond to what they want to do.

By using Bio tech aliens for the ultimate adversary it allows freedom to say, nope you don't detect any magic or psi, and yet I can justify some pretty weird effects on biological organisms.

Been going well I think, sorry we don't have a website. Maybe later. Hope that sparks some ideas, if you want more info, PM me as I have players that may be wandering around here.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote