Thread: Shock Shield
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 01:21 AM   #3
Skarg

Default Re: Shock Shield

I would think the subject would need to be a living creature, and would need to stay alive for the spell to work.

I would draw the line at whether the creature is combat-significant or not. Does it have a counter and stats? Not normal-sized ants or worms or flies. Probably not plants. Maybe a GM call on some other weird creatures and edge cases, such as undead or ghosts or whatever. As GM, I'd tend to invent a rule with a reason to make this something I can rule on consistently and quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
But my real question is this: Suppose a wizard casts shock shield on a fella in HTH and he gets killed. Often, that will mean his killer is still in the hex at the end of the turn when the spell effects occur. Does the killer take a hit? (I assume so.)

In the odd event that the wizard keeps it powered the next turn, would it still be effective? (May be useful at a chokepoint, for instance.)
In original TFT, I would tend to say no, because the subject is dead and no longer a creature so the spell would end.

However, Legacy edition shifted the point where figures die to an hour after their ST goes negative, so that sort of undermines that logic I'm used to. For that reason, I think I'll have to sleep on it a bit. It seems kind of not-as-intended to me to be able to use Shock Shield to zap people by basing it on dead or even unconscious bodies. It would lend a whole other significance to dead bodies other than their terrain effect, at least when someone's using Shock Shield.

Consider, that you could even stack up three or four dead (or dying) bodies in a hex in a doorway or narrow passage, and if you had the fatigue for it, end up with a hex that does 3-4 dice armor-bypassing damage to anyone in the hex. At the moment I can't decide if that's neat or annoying. ;-)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote