View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
aesir23

Default Re: Space Opera vs Hard Sci-Fi, personal vs realistic

Thanks Mailanka, I think your explanation of the "personal" scope of space opera is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
GURPS players tend to match it. Hand one of my players a Jedi, and they'll start to wonder why, exactly, they can't use blasters and destroy their enemy from a range. Thus, I cannot rely on tradition or genre savvy to keep my players in line.
I haven't found this to be the case at all. My players are all about the rule of cool. Personally, I think the whole point of being a Jedi is that you can use a lightsaber.

2 things spring to mind--first, in Star Wars, lightsaber are the only reliable defense against blasters. Armor is useless, but parries are always a perfect defense against ranged weapons.

I think this can be duplicated in GURPS by allowing Weapon Master with your melee weapons (and shields) but not with ranged weapons. Allow Danger Sense, Precognitive Parry, Enhanced Parry, etc.... Since armor isn't very effective, ranged weapon fighters will have to rely on cover and tactics, while melee fighters can jump into the fray.

The in-game justification isn't necessary-- blasters can't parry anyway.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote