View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #220
Icelander

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I would think a pistol with two 15in barrels would weigh more than 1.5x a pistol with a single 9in barrel
You're right, forgot to adjust it better in the process of changing other stats.

On the other hand, GURPS Low-Tech pistols do not necessarily differ that much in weight according to barrel length or caliber. After all, empty space inside a barrel doesn't weight very much. :-)

The .56 cal Light Dragoon Pistol has a 9" barrel and weighs 3 lbs. The .65 cal Heavy Dragoon Pistol has a 12" barrel and weighs 3.1 lbs.

I'm arbitrarily deciding that additional pistol barrels add only 50% to Weight and Cost per barrel, as opposed to additional longarm barrels. I'm basing this on LT and HT designs such as the Duck's Foot Pistol, Allen Pepperbox and Deringers, none of which seems to weigh from 85-90% of what 2 or 4 single-barrelled guns of their caliber would weigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
The perceived recoil difference in firing my Winchester 1400 semi auto shotgun vs firing my Montgomery-Ward single shot break action shotgun is huge
Indeed. And GURPS assumes this for semi-automatic shotguns, reducing MinST and Rcl compared to other action types.

But is there such a huge difference in perceived recoil between 230 grains of projectile at 850 fps from a semi-automatic pistol and the same ball weight and velocity from a muzzleloading smoothbore?

Should I assume that the MinST and Rcl stats of semi-automatic pistols already assume a -1 or even -2 to MinST and Rcl compared to muzzleloading pistols?

*We might also say 280 grains of projectile at 700 fps, for a heavier and slower load with equivalent momentum.