View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
Blood Legend

Default Re: GURPS 3e & 4e Metal Gear Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Yeah, I caught that it was a mecha but are they MechWarrior style RealRobo mecha, Robotech/Macross style transformation mecha, Evangelion or Escaflowne style SuperRobo mecha, or something in-between like a Gundam?
More like real life mecha, theyre weapons platforms like modular tanks. Take a tank, remove the treads, oversize some firing support struts and call them legs then stick its weapons on the sides instead of mounted directly to the turret.

Closest is MW but without the humanoid shapes, airplane fuselage shapes, etc.. MG mechs are also much shorter, but less agile. They can be transported by other vehicles, fit inside buildings, and generally arent as tall as a moving housing development with legs and face paint. It looks like something the American military would commission from General Dynamics.

Rex stands at about 13 meters height. Which is shorter than MW's light mechs if I'm not mistaken.

I've got a hefty bit of bias because I despise the super-robo genre and my bar is set incredibly high on the 'real robo' genre. Any rudeness detected in this post was subconscious and not at all intentional.

If you're a fan of TVTropes, Metal Gear (especially Rex) belongs more in an Oversized Walking Tanks genre.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 07-05-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote