View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #595
X the Unknown

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

I'm trying to create a ritual that will cover an area 5 yards in radius, 4 yards high with webs. These webs will attempt to trap anyone or anything within the area when cast, and if trapped will force them to roll a contest of ST to break free. Also, anyone or anything entering the area will also have to go through this process.

Ok, I have two attempts at a ritual. Will they both work? The first scales very well (read: cheap) towards targets with normal STrength using the Golden Rule (T:RPM p. 24), but gets quite expensive using Bestows a Bonus for high STrength targets, going all exponential and... stuff. Version 2 uses Binding (Basic p. 40) and can be more expensive at normal levels, but expands linearly forever so is much friendlier at higher STrength targets. Version 1 costs more than version 2 from STrength 20 and higher.

I'm going to assume an Effective Skill of 15 for comparison sake. I know with a higher Effective Skill I would get a higher "Spell STrength" for the escape contest on the first version, but I need a constant for the comparison.

Trapping Webs - Version 0.1
Spell Effects: Greater Create Matter
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This ritual creates an area 5 yards in radius that binds anyone or anything within it or entering it for the duration or until they can succeed in a contest of ST vs the Effective Skill of the ritual. Excludes caster and one other at time of casting.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Matter (6) + Area of Effect (Excludes caster and one other): 5 yards (5) + Duration: 10 minutes (1)
Cost: 34 energy

Trapping Webs - Version 2
Spell Effects: Greater Create Matter
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect, Binding
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This ritual creates an area 5 yards in radius that binds anyone or anything within it or entering it for the duration or until they can succeed in a contest of ST vs the Effective Skill of the ritual. Excludes caster and one other at time of casting.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Matter (6) + Binding: ST 15 (30) + Area of Effect (Excludes caster and one other: +1): 5 yards (5) + Duration: 10 minutes (1)
Cost: 121 energy

I know that Binding is essentially a Missile Spell and offers benefits above the first, but I'm just more interested in the binding aspect for now.

Ok, questions beyond whether the rituals will work as is.
  1. Do I need to use Persistent in order to get the binding effect to continue to grab items that enter the area?
  2. If I use Bestows a Penalty in the ritual to lower any target's STrength that fails to resist the ritual will it effect subsequent rolls against STrength to break free? I think it will.
  3. In the event that both rituals can work, what are people's feelings about allowing both: The first for STrengths lower than 20, the second for 20 and higher?
  4. Without changing these from webs to something that already exists in the environment like vines, could some version of this ritual be a Lesser Create Matter effect?

Thanks in advance!
X the Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote