View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #8
X the Unknown

Default Re: [RPM] Ritual Question: Create Working Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'd pull in the allies modifier from ravens'n'pennies (written by the guy who wrote the 2nd most about RPM).

Greater Create Body (6) + Lesser Create Mind (6) + Lesser Control Mind (5)+weight 100 lbs (2) + duration 1 day (7) + Ally (25% of points, 1 ally) (4) = 90

I wouldn't use an extra create for training the dog: create mind and the cost of the ally should cover that.

It will of course be cheaper energy wise to get a real dog and alter their mind, but creating living beings out of nothing should be expensive.
Yeah, I'd read over Ghostdancer's post on Ravens N' Pennies on the spell modifier: summoned. I really like it. I'm wondering though; would you really need Lesser Control Mind (which I put in there to control the creation) if it's an Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I haven't use RPM for a bit, but how about this:

Lesser Strengthen Chance + Lesser Control Mind

To improve the chance that such a dog would be right here.

Or would that need to be a greater effect?
I would think it would be a Greater Strengthen Chance, but I'm still not 100% certain. I always go with Ghostdancer's post (sorry, I can't find it to quote it directly. It's part of my cheat sheet though):

I use three rules to determine Greater effects:
• How difficult is the task? Could a normal person accomplish it easily? If it’s easy, then mark it as a “Yes.” If it’s hard, mark it as a “No.”
• Could anyone do it given equipment and a reasonable amount of time?
• Would it violate the natural laws of the setting?

If you answered “Yes” to all three than it is probably a Greater effect; if you answered “No” to all three, then it is probably a Lesser effect. If you answered “Yes” to one or two questions, then it’s iffy. It might be a Greater effect, if might be a Lesser effect. When I’ve answered “Yes” twice I err on the side of caution and charge for a Greater effect, when I answer “Yes” only once, I usually call it a Lesser effect and go on with the game.

As far as using the Path of Chance for this, I usually shy away from it. It has its place, but I'd rather not have everything be a lucky break. That being said, I do have an NPC that shows up now and again, by chance, who runs his entire existence by the Path of Chance. He's more of a plot point though.
X the Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote