View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
X the Unknown

Default Re: [RPM] Ritual Question: Create Working Dog

Thanks again for answering me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Training would probably be Lesser Strengthen Mind (Altered Trait) rather than Lesser Create Mind. The base would be a 0 point feature (basically as untrained dogs are less useful), but every 1 CP in skills/techniques would increase the cost by +1. Technically, RPM does not specify rules for instilling skills and techniques, but I believe that anything up to (Attribute)+5 would be lesser while anything beyond that would be greater.
Huh. I stayed away from Strengthen Mind for the training as it listed only Advantages and bonuses to Resistance rolls, but I can definitely see how this would work in conjunction with Altered Traits and it would allow for variations depending on how much training you'd want to give the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A much cheaper version though would be to find an existing dog and make it a loyal pet through magic.
He already has a dog; a puppy actually, and he's going through the arduous task of training her in play. He is using magic to help with the training, but doesn't want to do any mind warping on the dog to make her loyal.

I also chose the dog as an example as I could get several different types of dogs with different working roles, but all within the same weight category, so I could see how a more generic ritual would/could/should be made. The same might be done for birds (chickadee, raven, hawk), equines (horse, donkey. mule), or any number of other animals (dolphins to pull a boat).

When we first started using RPM we made every ritual wrong. Very wrong. We were wielding powerful effects for little energy. As we explored how other people were using RPM, rereading T:RPM, and scouring the forums here and elsewhere (thank you Ravens N' Pennies), we found out how to do it better, but we're still not sure we're doing it right. We've created a 13 page 'cheat sheet' that contains just the essentials to determine pricing for a ritual. It takes time to make something new that's complex, but we save every ritual we make and sometimes we can tweak it just a bit to make something new without building it from scratch.

I'm rambling. Sorry.

Thanks again for the reply and the insight.
X the Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote