View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #16
Skarg

Default Re: 2-Hex Jab Attack: Option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
A four and a half yard long lance (as given on ITL 109) is going to be held with the butt end no further back than the rear end of the horse. So will impact at least five and a half feet in front of the head of the horse. Anybody in the hex directly in front of the horse is already past the head of the lance.
That is a great reality point and I agree does deserve a good house rule that would be consistent with the described length of the weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
On second thought, I don't really like the rule though. Why should I only be able to move 2 hexes, why not a half move or a 1 step? Why 2?!? Not exactly logical. We don't have an MA payment system for actions. So no matter my MA, I can still only move 2 and only for this particular action. I always assumed that the crawl 2 hexes were for the purpose of getting away from someone's engagement zone if you started your movement underfoot. But I see no special reason for the Ready a Weapon 2 hex move limit.!
My guess is that it was Steve's feeling that it felt right to him that someone slinging and readying weapons could move faster than 1 hex, but would be slower than people doing the things that allow 1/2 MA. That seems to make intuitive sense to me for a generic rule that could include someone putting away one or even two weapons and drawing one or two weapons in one turn - I think they'd be slower than people moving into combat with ready weapons. If only one weapon were being drawn from a convenient place, though, maybe half-MA would feel more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Gargoyle flying along at MA 16 makes 16 attempts to pick up a weapon, one per hex in each of 16 hexes by ITL 104. Given DX 11 he'll grab an average of 10 weapons. Assuming these are Halberds the ST 13 gargoyle then falls out of the air, right?
This seems to me utterly off topic in this thread, and also wrong.

I don't think fliers would be wise to try to pick up things from the ground while flying.

Seems like an invitation to the GM to ask for a 3- or 4-die DX roll or crash into the dirt.

Gargoyles can't even make one punch attack while flying without it being at DX -4, so if picking up something while flying by were even allowed, I'd think it'd be at DX -4 at best.

The rule also talks about the attempt being "on the run" and "while running", not while flying.

The rule also mentions "a" weapon, not a weapon for every hex of movement. I think this is a one-item-per-turn (if you make your DX roll) option.

There's also a limit on the number of weapons that can be held at once. Even if the GM did allow picking up items while flying over them, and even if you had a dragon with enough ST to hold an octopus is each of it's four claws, I'd expect them to only be able to hold at most 12 one-handed weapons.

And, not on-topic in a thread about 2-hex jabs.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote