View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #3
Skarg

Default Re: Sexually Dimorphic Races [Fantasy]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I am curious how many people use sexually dimorphic races in fantasy campaigns.
I have done. Also some multi-sexed and mono-sexed races, though rarely were they PCs.

Well, and also generally do do to at least a small degree with most races and species (including humans), because real species tend to have at least some physical differences between sexes.

Quote:
If you do, do you keep the same point values between the sexes or do you have different point values for the sexes?
No. Vive la différence! To me, points are a tool to help roughly estimate the general level of significance of the stats of a character, in order to express general limits and tradeoffs to players building characters.

And the stats and traits of everything in the game, are to me tools to represent what is there in the game world and situation. The reason for them being what they are would never be to make the points come out in tidy numbers.

It would seem entirely backwards to me to let some desire for equal points determine what the description of a type of character were, or to force the points to be equal between descriptions of two sexes of the same species because of some meta notion of the rectitude of them being equal in GURPS points.

Quote:
Do your players like the added variety or do they find the idea of sexual dimorphism distracting?
My players tend to like that the game system are used as tools to represent the game situation, so they can immerse in it. They like that the characters tend to get stats that make sense for what they're supposed to be. They like that the GM has creatively detailed things in interesting ways, including the differences between the sexes of various people. It's just one of the many details though and I don't remember people seeming distracted by it, but only in a few odd cases have PCs needed to be chosen from particularly inhuman races.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote