Thread: Unarmed Combat
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #92
Tenex

Default Re: Unarmed Combat

I've gotta throw something out here. Why is there so much commitment to a limit on armor use in conjunction with UC. Is it that modern practitioners don't wear armor? That must be it.

I am not an expert on Samurai, but I'm sure their empty hand training didn't evaporate when they wore armor.

Google riot armor and you will see police and corrections personnel in what must charitably count as leather engaging in unarmed combat. Yes, they often use shields and batons, but ultimately the police and prison guards must go hands on to control and arrest subjects. There are several episodes on Lockup of corrections cell entry teams taking down violent inmates without weapons, all while heavily armored.

Some police SWAT teams have developed in-house defensive tactics systems specifically designed to be used while wearing body armor and helmets. Krav Maga has been embraced by many departments and is compatible with body armor, helmets and full on riot armor.

With the exception of the samurai, I admit the above are examples of defensive tactics, advanced brawling or whatever you want to call it other than true martial arts. However, it demonstrates real world use of unarmed combat in conjunction with armor. It demonstrates the viability of chokes, arm bars, punches, knee and elbow strikes (never seen a kick) while armored.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote