View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #21
Icelander

Default Re: Modern Monster Hunting Guns [XM500, MICOR Leader 50, etc.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Nice right up,

But in terms of stats would you not be better of with the Alexander Arms .50 (maybe with an extended magazine, and FA conversion if you really wanted it)? You've lost a point of Bulk and Rcl* I guess but I think I'd prefer 6d+1 pi+.
Comparing a 10.5" barrel to a 16.5" one. From the same barrel length, the .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf differ by maybe 1-2 points of Dmg.

And the Bulk -4* was the entire point of this weapon. At Bulk -5, you can get a .50 BMG weapon that does Dmg 10d+2 pi+. The Alexander Arms Entry .50 Beowulf is neither one thing nor the other, neither a good rifle nor a good carbine, due to the legality issue that forces it to be Bulk -5.

Quote:
Also will you not have issue with sub sonic and hollow point together occasionally causing the hollow points not to expand (you could go with glasers anyway of course) I maybe wrong about that with heavy rounds though?
It's possible. One reason for choosing .458 SOCOM is that expanding bullets in that caliber have a good reputation.

Quote:
Another way to go is 10g magnum rifled slugs, but until someone makes a 10g with detachable box magazine, capacity is an issue (as is of course recoil for hitting more than once a turn), but 8d-2 pi++ is hard to argue with.
Shotguns are versatile, legal and powerful in the monster hunting role. If you only want one thing from your gun, however, it makes sense to go with a purpose-designed weapon.