View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #88
Witchking

Default Re: Ceremonial Magic used to support an army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
I don't think so. I think they should be in secret societies to be less world altering. In the power of states I think it would be more world altering.
IMHO...many organizations (Orders or Styles if one must go RAW) with many different goals...mebbie throw them one overarching objective that "all mages" (mostly) are dedicated to...holding back the Old Ones, keeping the Dark Lord from franchising, free ice cream for kids...whatever...

Basically it keeps the mages squabbling amongst themselves, provides a home for a PC mage no matter what philosophy the player comes up with, allows them to act in a united fashion only when the peril is greatest and the plot demands...and curiously enough mimics real life.

To paraphrase John Adams-

"One useless mage is a disgrace, two useless mages are called an enchanting circle, three or more become a College of Mages."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/1776_(film)