View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [Combat]: Do you bow, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctifer View Post
Let's assume our theoretical opponents have 10 in their appropriate skills.
Bow-10 is not sufficient for a combatant.

You need Bow-12 to Bow-15 to be any sort of threat, ever.

Quote:
If we start our average opponents at 200 yards, our swordsman can sprint at 20 yards/second (barring encumbrance penalties to move). That means it'll take him 10 seconds to reach our archer.
Your swordsman is sprinting at 40mph here. I think you mean he can sprint at 20 feet per second, or about 6.6 yds/sec. In reality, if he's all stats of 10, he'll have Move 5, and sprint at 6 yards per second. That's 33s of being out of range.

Quote:
Round 1: Swordsman moves 20 (let's say he was already sprinting), our archer considers firing (let's say he already had his bow ready and arrow nocked). According to the Size and Speed/Range table, our archer has a -17 to hit (-6 because swordsman is moving at 20, -11 because he's now at 180 yards). Not liking his chances, our archer takes an Aim maneuver.
Even if you give penalties for straight-line movement directly at the target (and at this range, you might) the penalty for Move 5 is -2, and Move 6 or 7 is -3. But the way you do it is to add the values together (180 yds and 6 yds/sec is 186, which uses the 200 line on the table) for a penalty of -12.

This is still a crushing penalty and the bowman can't even roll. This is a real problem for Bow-10. You can only eke out something like +4 or +5 for Accuracy (Acc 2 or 3 plus 2s more of aiming), and another +1 for AoA determined, total of +5 or +6. This means total positive skill of 15 or 16, so you can only hit in combat 50% of the time at a total penalty of -5 or -6 . . . way less than 100yds.

Bow-14 pushes the 50% mark (to the torso, no less) out to 100 yds, but you're still only getting a few shots in before the swordsman is upon you . . .so don't hold your ground each turn as he gets close. Use your move to back up some to get more shots in, though this requires Fast-Draw and Quick-Ready (from Martial Arts) to be effective.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote