View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #34
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the week: Addiction and Alcoholism

This thread makes me miss significant doses of caffeine so much. Trace amounts don't bother me, but I can no longer drink coffee, soda pop, or tea unless it is decaffeinated (plus some additional restrictions). Well, I can drink it, but it kicks me like a mule unless I restrain myself to a single serving... which still is unpleasant and leaves me "off" for a day or two.

So, relevance to the discussion? I've avoided a lot of the more obvious addictions in my life: I don't drink or smoke or use some other drugs. I badly struggle with Gluttony, however, and the only reason I'm not as bad as I used to be about overeating is because the same condition that forces me to indulge in caffeinated beverages no more than once every few months (and that is a recent change - I went about 10 years without any before that) is because of the pain consuming them causes.

So in a sense, I'm still addicted. If it wasn't for the highly unpleasant side effects of "cheating" too much, which are variable and so also confusing (I once thought I was having a heart attack, but it usually mimics the stomach flu), I'd go back to drinking coffee in a heartbeat. And... still not sure how much this pertains to the discussion, other than wondering how to model it in game. ;)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote