View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #39
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Least genre most low powered GURPS game that you have run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In most of the bookstores that I visit, current literary fiction, and often whatever classic fiction they have, is on the same general fiction shelves as what you are calling "mainstream." For example, that's where I found Isabel Allende's Zorro and Margaret Atwood's The Robber Bride, and also Jane Austen and Rudyard Kipling. There isn't really a marketing distinction. The distinction is that some of that fiction gets written about by literary critics, and some largely gets passed over in silence.
I didn't make this up and some bookstores definitely separate literature from general fiction (which is separate from the genre shelves). The marketing isn't relevant to my point besides. There exists quite a large body of fiction that is about people and relationships, not action adventures. What you call it doesn't actually matter.

Icelander's claim requires either that this fiction doesn't exist (or at least doesn't form a significant enough body of work for consideration) or that the characters in these works routinely succeed at tasks that would generally require rolls in GURPS such that they have skill-12.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-16-2016 at 08:23 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote