View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 02:34 AM   #63
AurochDigital

Default Re: Survey: Top Priorities for Ogre VG Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I'd be very interested to hear the thought process on unit selection.
So as development rolled onwards, we're always in a process of examining what we've got left to do, what are risk areas and what is coming in as planned. So there is an ongoing process of having to move things from the development plan into the backlog as we move forward. So we didn't take a single decision for all of them, rather ongoing decisions, like 'dang the UI is proving to be more complex for overun edge cases, we need more art and code time, so what are our options?'. (That's not an exact quote, but you get the point!)

So it goes roughly..

Not complex in rules terms, but art time. (mainly Light GEV, GEV-PC, Fencer,Doppelsoldner & Trucks) However I felt these were the least 'iconic' of the games units so when we had to make hard choices on art, I moved these into the backlog.

Theen more complex units (mainly Cruise Missiles, Vulcan & Combat Engineers, Ogrethulhu) all needed more rules (so code) as well as art time and also were newer, so less iconic part of the game. So again, when push came to shove they got moved into backlog. With these the scenarios connected to them also got moved into backlog.

I'm still gutted about Ogrethulhu being in backlog :(