View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
PK

Default Re: GURPS: How to develop Knacks in 4e?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
GURPS Fantasy gives us Fixed magic instead. where you buy them like you would a spell, except using Magery (One Spell only -80%)
Exactly. Fixed Magic is the way that Fourth Edition handles "magical knacks," assuming that you wanted to keep it tied directly to spells rather than using the power system. See GURPS Fantasy (p. 161) for full rules, but in brief, you buy Magery with the One Spell Only limitation (-80%), pay an additional 1 point per prerequisite*, and then buy the spell to whatever level you want (taking your limited Magery into account).

* These are found in GURPS Magic, but I recommend using the values from GURPS Thaumatology, as they're more accurate.

For example, I want to be able to have Create Servant as fixed magic (a "knack") rather than as a summonable Ally. It requires IQ 12 (which I have!), Magery 3, and a prerequisite count of 9. It costs 3 to cast, 1 to maintain, and I want to be able to at least maintain it for free, so I need it at skill 15 (IQ+3).

Magery 3 (One Spell Only, -80%) would cost 7 points. The prerequisite chain adds 9 points. And the cost to buy the IQ/H spell at IQ+3 (taking my Magery into account) would be 4 points.

So I write this as Fixed Magic (Create Servant-15) [20]. I roll against a skill of 15 to cast it and it costs me 2 to cast, 0 to maintain unless I'm summoning a skilled or brute servant.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote