View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #16
macphersonrants

Default Re: GURPS LOTR Magic

We need to remember that the Istari (Wizards) Gandalf, Saruman, Readagast, and so on are embodied Maiar. This means that, at least in theory, they may follow their own rules. Sauron and the Balrog are the same class of being, so that applies to them as well. For my part, I will generally stay away from commenting on this class of characters unless they are clearly following the same set of rules as elves, men, or dwarves.

I've been taking some notes as I go through the Silmarillion (didn't start taking notes till mid-way, so I'll definitely need to go back). So far the following strikes me as definitely magical:

The dark elf Eol set enchantments to cause Aredhel to get lost and then be lured to him, so he could marry her. The details are very vague, so I'm not sure what this would come down to in GURPS terms.

Aredhel and Eol's son Maeglin's "...thought could read the secrets of hearts beyond the mist of words." Eol also had this power. Aradhel is described as guarding her mind against it. This sounds to me like Telepathy Power and Mind Reading. Aradhel is probably using Mind Block skill to resist.

When Finrod Felagund, king of the elves, meets a group of men led by Beor he sings a song that seems to impart knowledge and have a strong emotional effect that transcends language. This might be something like the Bard-Song Power in Dungeon Fantasy: Adventurers with one or more of the Enthrallment skills.

Beren is described as a "...friend of birds and beast, who aided him and did not betray him..." This might be a Beast Master or Beast Friend Power modeled on aspects of the Life Power in Powers.

Celegorm and Curufin seem to use Enthrallment on their fellow elves on Nargothrond.

Finrod disguises himself, Beren, and their companions as orcs. This might be an illusion or an actual transformation. Illusion Power would probably do the trick.

Sauron and Finrod engage in a battle with songs of power, which Sauron wins. At the end Finrod is left unconscious at Sauron's feet. This might be Bard-Song Power with Rapier Wit plus the Words of Power and Affliction/Incapacitation enhancements.

Luthien is aware when Beren is imprisoned. Possibly, Mindlink.

Luthien is able, by enchantment, to cause her hair to grow out to great length. She then makes a cloak out of it laden with a spell of sleep. Could this be modeled with Powers, or do we need to bring Magic into play?

When a werewolf comes to devour Beren, Finrod is able to put forth a burst of strength and break his bonds. Not sure how to approach this one off the top of my head.

Shortly thereafter, Luthien arrives and "...declared her power and the spell was loosed that bound stone to stone, and the gates were cast down, iand the walls opened, and the pits laid bare..." Also not sure on this one.

Luthien later does a similar disguise bit to the one Finrod did earlier. In this case she and Beren clearly also take on the powers of the werewolf and vampire they are disguised as. Maybe Body Alteration Power with Morph.

When Beren and Luthien are stealing the Silmaril from Morgoth's throne room she uses a song to blind him, put his minions to sleep, and then incapacitates him with a vision of the Outer Void. I think this could also be Bard-Song using Rapier Wit w/ Words of Power and Affliction.

That's what I have so far. It looks like something akin to the Bard-Song power was pretty common among the more powerful Norldor at least. To fully simulate what we get in the book we need to ramp up Rapier Wit with both Word of Power and Affliction. Something like Telepathy Power and at least some aspects of the Body Alteration Power also seems to have been available for some elves.

As noted above, I'm not immediatelly sure how to deal with everything I have found. It looks like a lot of things can be modeled with Powers. Whether or not to use the sample Powers in the book in full or in part will be another question to address.