View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #55
ravenfish

Default Re: When do you use Reaction Rolls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
The big part is the latter clause, where it notes that skill descriptions count. As whswhs has noted, if it specifically notes that some advantage does apply for one skill, that implies that it does not for others.
If a skill or advantage said "gives a bonus to influence rolls using this skill" I would agree with you that would strongly imply that it doesn't give bonuses to influence rolls with other skills, but, in general, they don't say that. When Voice says that it gives a bonus to Fast-Talk, that does include influence rolls with Fast-Talk, but it also includes rolls to cause a distraction, to feint in combat with the appropriate perk ("there's a man behind you!"), and so forth. Voice provides a bonus to all rolls for the skills listed, which I don't think should be taken as implying that other skills do not get bonuses in certain situations (in this case, influence rolls) when the rules written for those situations call for them. Certainly, I would have a hard time arguing that Voice shouldn't help one with Savoir-Fair (High Society).

The Discworld Roleplaying Game, which is admittedly not mainline canon, but which is written by Phil Masters who has a pretty good understanding of how GURPS works, mentions in an example on page 74 that Attractive appearance would give a +1 bonus to an influence roll with Savoir-Faire (but not any other sort of roll with that skill), so there is that.