View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #18
Plane

Default Re: [DF] New Race: Swan Maidens (PEACH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
I think I might reverse myself on this thought. Your swan is SM -1, so a bit of long neck isnt going to get their reach up to out of their hex anyway. It is important for labeling that swans have a neck that is easier to hit than a humans, at least on the swing. So long neck might be the easiest way to show that. The Stretching build is legal but way to awkward, may as well go with the feature.
"Easier to hit with swing than thrust" would be a great feature for a lot of body parts besides necks :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
They are bipeds, if awkward ones. They don't get the advantages of Extra Legs in any movement configuration, and GURPS is all about "what do you get". They move slow, but that is just a matter of buying down their ground move by whatever... though they are not THAT slow...
Semi-Upright at -5 is "a clumsy gait while upright (-40% to Move)" which is the same disadvantage value as buying down your Basic/Ground Move by 1 point...

So I guess that will always be the better deal if you lack forelimbs to use your full move with. I could see maybe some creatures (like some kind of dragon) able to use their wings like that (like with hands, you don't need Extra Legs for that) to move faster than on hind legs, but Swans clearly don't, and if they did it would probably be standard "Crawling" because they couldn't do it faster than just on hind legs like some hypothetical dragon.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote