Thread: Reverse Cosmic.
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
white33

Default Re: Reverse Cosmic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
The thing is, though, that Cosmic isn't nearly as generic as you're making it out to be. It's not some sort of all-purpose "existing enhancement doesn't do what I need? Slap Cosmic on it!" thing. Cosmic is specfically for abilities that "break the rules", going beyond the normal limits of the advantage entirely. And there isn't just one Cosmic enhancement - it's a category, not a single thing. For example, making a defense capable of protecting against what it's normally not capable is +50%, while removing the roll from an ability that normally requires one is +100%, and making an attack that ignores any bonuses to defend against it is +300%.
Cosmic doesn't really mean "generic". It means "GMs beware, this could potentially break your game - handle with care!".

In most circumstances, the best thing to do when an advantage doesn't have the enhancement or limitation you want is to create a new one, comparing it to existing limitations. Just shrugging and saying "eh, slap on Cosmic" will end up leading to either overpriced or underpriced powers, depending on what you're trying to do and what version of Cosmic you use.

You'd want Mind Reading as well as Telesend, with a limitation for "only on people I have contacted with Telesend" on the Mind Reading. Probably extended range on the Mind Reading as well, if you want to be able to "listen" with the same range as you "talk".
True on "Cosmic", but what i mean is not that generic a trait, but one Cosmic-like in reverse.
"Cosmic" is a non-specific, non-specified enhancement that, when no other enhancement covers it, will often allow you to effectively remove certain limitations and/or improve on some inherent capabilities of a trait. A limitation version of that would be nice.

But how to do "No listening/understanding, only speaking" on "Speaks with animals?"
white33 is offline   Reply With Quote