View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Gudiomen

Default Re: [DF] Will Points... has anyone used them with DF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
I'm not convinced that this would work well, or is needed, probably because it's not really something I can imagine, or understand what it would do, but I think having it work like HP or FP, with "at 1/3 damage" effects and "below 0" effects would work out better than having it modify existing stats. I'm not sure what would happen at those levels though.
As a psychologist I see a direct correlation between Will Point loss and stress. 1/3 WP and 0 WP can be treated as advanced, aggravated levels of stress.

Recovery rate should be slow, slower than HP, and only REALLY significante things should cause the loss of Will Points. Loosing over WP/2 in a single instance would probably cause a nervous breakdown (psychotic episode, or trigger some pathology until the WPs recover, like panic syndrome, for instance).

Mechanically being bellow 1/3 WP should probably halve Will, IQ and Per resistance rolls, and at 0 WP you halve them again.

Psychotherapy would have the same effect as a physician on HP recovery, and psychopharmaceuticals would cancel the effect of low WP while they're used (with the appropriate side-effects and dependency issues, in some cases).

You can go to town on this. Just don't use it in a campaign where you routinely have to deal with stressful situations and don't want to deal with the long term psychological effects. It's more appropriate for horror games, or gritty realistic games, where the cop cares less and less and eventually starts to drink, his family life goes down the drain, or goes crooked because the department won't give him the proper conditions to work with and his boss as crazy as he'll eventually get...
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote