View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Um.... wut?

Star Trek is not a particularly psi-heavy setting. Sure, some people have it, but it's usually a novelty to the characters. It's more a power of aliens that causes problems for the crew. What makes you think it's a consistent fit with Star Trek?
I meant in the sense that where super-ish powers appear, they either clearly come from biology, or they look like something that could plausibly be psionics. Meanwhile, the superscience technology doesn't contradict the idea that they could be psychotronics. Maybe I should have said 'a core conceit of this setting,' instead of 'a core conceit of the setting?' If I'm reading you right, there's where the disconnect came in. Sorry. I'll edit it so that later readers don't get confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
But you can justify this without resorting to psionics. Star Trek's technology just takes a different path than ours, and what we automate they do manually. This is a cultural issue, not a technological one. See every episode where Kirk destroys a computer or android. Whenever Star Trek technology gets too big for its britches, it goes haywire, and nobody wants that.
Yes, but it would be nice to have a reason for that. In this setting, the reason is that psychotronics work best when there's a sapient being present. Without that, you get a lot of arguments about how the civilizations who do a lot of automating would stomp all over the ones who don't. Anyway, as noted, this is a new setting inspired by and looking like Star Trek, and as you might have guessed from the title, it's more psi-focused than ST appears to be on the surface (and probably more than it is underneath).

I'm going to be posting some questions to help with worldbuilding. I've got one on the eugenics wars already written (it'll be in the next post, or if I've gone over the character limit again, the next two posts), and a few more that I've been thinking about, but don't have ready yet.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote