Thread: Viking magic
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Viking magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Effectively leaning toward High Magic + Rare Magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
But fairly low for the Norse. Enchanters and monsters will have more magic. Powers should roughly reflect how the Norse believed them to be, but more reliable and effective.
I think you are confusing High Magic with High Fantasy

High Magic fits the Norse quite well. It is the magical equivalent of home remedies. Under this falls things like Craft Magic where special rituals while crafting an item imbues it with magical power. Oaths, knacks, and True Faith all fall under High Magic.

Next up is Formulaic Magic ie magic via secret knowledge and elaborate rituals. This is where mystics will be.

Low Magic combines High and Formulaic Magic. Spells are easy to learn but are learn via direct story.
They produce very potent results. Your average D&D campaign has Low Magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
And I'm fine with limited colleges if I could just find the right combinations for each type.

I'm just going to have to go through the spell lists one spell at a time and classify them.
The Symbol magic rules would make things far saner. The interesting thing about those and the Syntactic magic they are based on is no mention of magery being needed to learn or cast spells is made.

This makes sense as GURPS 4e Fantasy explains, under Runic enchantment, that there is the idea that
certain letters or other symbols in themselves are a source of magical power. The Golem of Prague is a prime example of this form of magic.

Last edited by maximara; 05-23-2018 at 07:39 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote