Thread: Viking magic
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Viking magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Mystics will need to have Magery 1, since the entire Knowledge college depends on knowing Detect Magic.
Actually the Knowledge college has spells that per the spell chart do not require magery. Of the Seek (whatever) only Seek Plastic requires magic. There are a handful of other spells with Test Load and Tell Position being the most useful to the Vikings.

Looking at the chart Enchantment and Meta are the only collages that require Magery 1+ throughout though some colleges are near useless at Magery 0.

Quote:
I guess if we push the boundaries of the other spell caster types, we can say that they have access to spells that don't require Magery 1, whether or not the casters themselves actually have Magery 1.

By the way, I'm looking at a realistic (as opposed to cinematic) and fantastic (as opposed to historical or mythic) game.
Effectively leaning toward High Magic + Rare Magic.

Quote:
I guess if we assume "basic" and "lesser" mean "don't require Magery 1," this might be nearly enough for mystics and hedge-wizards. The bit about dealing with spirits is still missing, and the Necromantic college requires Magery 1. Maybe all spell casters need Magery 1 even if most only have access to Magery 0 spells...
Actually the Necromantic college doesn't require Magery 1: Steal Energy, Steal Vitality, Steal Dexterity, and Steal Might are all learnable by Magery 0 wizards per the chart. There are a handful of other M0 spells but those are the ones that really stand out.

Yes, M0 majorly limits some colleges (a few to the point they are effectively gutted) but only two really require M1 or higher: Enchantment and Meta.

Last edited by maximara; 05-23-2018 at 05:44 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote