View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #241
dbm

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Reprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Are you speaking from a sales standpoint? I ask because, in my experience as a gamer who doesn't sell games, this is not true. Folks talk quite a bit about dragons and demons and trolls and other monsters that have a collective consciousness that's outside the game. It's hard to convey to someone who isn't already a gamer how cool a fight was against a beholder since you first have to explain what a beholder is and in ways that do not already involve game terms.
Personally, I’m talking about gamers I know and none of them have been newbies for a very long time. But they are pretty new to GURPS, for the most part. I’m using DFRPG to get them used to the GURPS rules, in a style of game I know they already enjoy, before potentially branching out into different genres.

Also, beholders and mindflayers specifically are pretty much apex bad guys. You build up to fighting them and they’re still rock hard to defeat. Such things are great tales made of.
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote